The rains have officially come in Arusha, but that doesn't stop our youngest children getting outside and enjoying the experience!
The benefits of outdoor play are discussed on a daily basis, and all children should be able to experience these every day, rain or shine. Some of the benefits of enjoying the outdoors in all weathers include:
- The sensory experience of listening to and feeling different weather conditions such as the wind, rain, and snow.
- Discovering about seasons and the changes that happen in the environment such as crunchy leaves falling off the trees
- Holistic development
- Learning to manage the new risks that come with different weathers such as drinking lots of water and sun cream when it’s hot, or being careful not to slip when it is wet
- Discovering about living things in the environment when the weather changes for example frogs may come out when it rains
- New EYFS learning experiences such as painting with wet mud when it’s raining or catching rain in containers and talking about quantities and numbers
- Plus many fun activities such as den building to keep dry or to provide shelter from the sun, splashing in puddles, crunching leaves, minibeast hunting and much more.
Children should have all the opportunities possible to discover more about the world they live in. Play should not be restricted, or development hindered because it is raining outside. If children have the correct clothing, they are rarely phased by the weather, and this should be embraced.
While the rainy season is upon us, the EYFS team would encourage parents to send their children to school 'dressed for the weather':
- Waterproofs – jacket, coat or suit
- A warm fleece
- Wellie boots
- Change of clothes
Playing outside can be turned into beneficial learning experiences with some fond memories. Children and teachers soon warm up once back inside, and it can be made a special part of the daily routine. It doesn’t have to dampen spirits, and the children will always gain from times like these.
Next time it’s cold and rainy make the most of the weather, get everyone wrapped up and go and enjoy outdoor play in the rain.